Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Last Full Day

Today was bittersweet, as I spent my last full day in Nairobi. In the morning, Maddie and I went to the pre-school center to paint the benches we had made on Monday- fun, and not too messy, though I would have given a lot for latex paint. The cheery colors of turquoise and yellow will add a great deal to the classrooms, both in the old center and in the new one when it opens in September.







Then after lunch and a meeting with an amazing woman, Terry, from an NGO working with the aged here in Kenya, it was off to the city market to make some last-minute gift purchases, including my son's vuvuzela (you know- the dreadful-sounding horn used at the World Cup soccer games to cheer for the teams. Am I crazy or what?). The word is Zulu and means, "Let's all celebrate!"

Briefly back to the hotel and then off to our early evening meeting with the grandmothers at what will be the new pre-school center, since several has not seen it. They were thrilled with the property, as was Elizabeth, the teacher, since there will be far more space, both indoors and outside. Our time together was made difficult by two things. First, the eight-year-old granddaughter of Beatrice, one of the original grandmothers, died on Monday of complications from AIDS and Beatrice had gone to the country to be with the rest of her family for the funeral. And second- though far less important in the overall scheme of things, it was our goodby to the grandmothers for this trip. There were many hugs, a parting prayer, and sincere wishes for safe travel, as well as the fervent remark from Elizabeth: "Please don't forget us." As if I possibly could.





And so, in just a little more than 24 hours, I will be on a plane heading for Cairo, then Amsterdam, then Boston, and then Charlotte. By this time Friday evening, I will be on my way up I-85 to my home...and Nairobi, Kenya will be far, far away once again. But a piece of my heart- a very large piece- will remain here with these courageous grandmothers, with their beautiful grandchildren, while I give my own grands many hugs and kisses...while I express continued gratitude for the blessing of their presence in my life...while I pray for the wisdom, courage, and strength to continue the work begun here and in Mwanza and in Kigali among women who are struggling so hard to give their own grandchildren a better life.



No comments: